Is hemolytic-uremic syndrome serious?

Without treatment, hemolytic-uremic syndrome (HUS) can be a serious condition that can result in death, especially in adults. With medical treatment, over half of those affected with HUS have a complete recovery. Although HUS is the primary cause of kidney failure in children, the rate of recovery is near 95 percent in children affected by the condition. Most children survive HUS without having any lasting permanent effects. While most cases of HUS have favorable outcomes, approximately 12 percent of all those affected by HUS, adults and children, may develop end stage renal failure or die from other complications.

Continue Learning about Blood Diseases

Why ITP Causes Bleeding and Bruising Symptoms
Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) is a disease where antibodies attack platelets, small blood cells that are vital to the healthy function of the blood an...
ITP: How to Be Prepared for an Emergency
If you are living with immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) or another health condition that causes low platelet counts, it is important to know when to cont...
Is there a cure for hypokalemia?
Hypokalemia is rarely serious, but if left untreated, it can be life threatening. This condition usu...
Should I take precautions if I have a hemorrhaging disorder?
If you have a hemorrhaging disorder, you should take precautions against even minor injuries. Any in...