How is thalassemia intermedia treated?

People with thalassemia intermedia may be treated with blood transfusions every now and then. Sometimes, they are given a vitamin called folic acid, if their body needs it. Folic acid helps make red blood cells (RBCs) more quickly, to replace the ones the spleen is removing. Treatments fix thalassemia-related anemia for a short time, but they don’t cure thalassemia.

Continue Learning about Blood Diseases

How do other illnesses affect hemolytic-uremic syndrome?
Illnesses that weaken your immune system can affect hemolytic-uremic syndrome (HUS) by making you mo...
Is there a cure for hypokalemia?
Hypokalemia is rarely serious, but if left untreated, it can be life threatening. This condition usu...
How is von Willebrand disease (VWD) treated?
Most cases of von Willebrand disease (VWD) are mild and require treatment only if the person is in a...
Should I have my child tested for a hemorrhaging disorder?
Hemorrhaging disorders are generally inherited. A pregnant woman who is a carrier of the gene that c...