How does hypokalemia affect the body?

Our cells, nerves, and muscles use the mineral and electrolyte potassium to function normally. Healthy kidneys keep the level of potassium in the blood within a certain range, excreting any excess in the urine. Some potassium is also lost through perspiration or through the digestive system, especially if the individual is vomiting or has diarrhea. Small decreases in potassium levels do not generally cause symptoms, but severe drops can be life threatening. Occasionally elderly individuals have a diet so deficient in potassium they develop hypokalemia.

Continue Learning about Blood Diseases

ITP: How to Be Prepared for an Emergency
If you are living with immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) or another health condition that causes low platelet counts, it is important to know when to cont...
A Glossary of Terms to Help Understand ITP
When you are researching a health condition or talking to healthcare providers about a condition, it can be helpful to know some of the terminology. B...
What is transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI)?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI) is a serious blood transfusion complication thought to...
How do I manage my hypocalcemia on a daily basis?
Oral calcium supplements can help restore your blood calcium levels to normal and resolve hypocalcem...