How can removing the spleen and gallbladder help people with thalassemia?

People with thalassemia might need to have their spleen and/or gallbladder removed to help treat thalassemia symptoms. If the spleen gets too big and is removing too many red blood cells (RBCs), it may need to be removed. This is called a splenectomy. The spleen’s other job is to fight germs. After it is removed, people may get infections more easily. Doctors will give them extra medicines to keep them well.

If people get gallstones because of thalassemia, they might need their gall bladder removed. The body is fine without a gall bladder so they don’t need any extra medicine if they get it removed.

Continue Learning about Blood Diseases

Should I talk to my doctor about my hypocalcemia symptoms?
Hypocalcemia can cause debilitating symptoms in the long term, if left untreated. These symptoms can...
Are there alternative treatments for hemolytic-uremic syndrome?
There are no medically-endorsed alternative treatments for hemolytic-uremic syndrome (HUS). HUS is a...
How do I manage my hypocalcemia on a daily basis?
Oral calcium supplements can help restore your blood calcium levels to normal and resolve hypocalcem...
Should I talk to my doctor about my hemorrhaging symptoms?
If you are experiencing symptoms or have a family history of a hemorrhaging disorder, you should tal...