What is essential thrombocythemia, a type of chronic MPD?

Essential thrombocythemia is one of the six types of chronic myeloproliferative disorders (MPD). In this blood disorder, the bone marrow produces too many platelets. As a result, there are an excessive number of platelets in the blood and bone marrow. Platelets help clot the blood. Therefore, the presence of excessive platelets causes the blood to get clumpy, which makes it difficult to flow smoothly. If left untreated, essential thrombocythemia can eventually lead to serious complications such as stroke or heart attack.

Continue Learning about Blood Diseases

What are some of the complications of thalassemia-related anemia?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Some of the complications of thalassemia-related anemia occur because the body tries to fix the prob...
What are blood stem cells?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Blood stem cells are the starter cells responsible for making all the body's blood cells. Stem cells...
How can I protect my children from hypocalcemia?
You can protect your children from hypocalcemia by making sure they get enough calcium, magnesium, a...
What causes chronic myeloproliferative disorders?
There are no known causes of chronic myeloproliferative disorders. This group of disorders is genera...