Is there a cure for sickle-hemoglobin C (Hb S-C) disease?

Yes, there is a cure for sickle-hemoglobin C (Hb S-C) disease, but it can be difficult to perform. The cure is bone marrow transplant, which involves finding an uninfected donor, taking bone marrow from that person, and replacing the bone marrow in a person with Hb S-C disease. However, most people do not choose this option because the risks of death and other complications when performing bone marrow transplant surgeries are high. Additionally, finding a donor can be difficult, so the disease is generally left uncured, with doctors treating the symptoms and preventing complications.

Continue Learning about Blood Diseases

Should I tell my child's school about a hemorrhaging disorder?
If your child has a hemorrhaging disorder, you should tell the school your child goes to. The school...
Since siderosis doesn't usually cause symptoms, why should I stop smoking?
Even though siderosis doesn't usually cause symptoms, you should stop smoking so you can prevent fur...
Should I take precautions if I have a hemorrhaging disorder?
If you have a hemorrhaging disorder, you should take precautions against even minor injuries. Any in...
What are blood stem cells?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Blood stem cells are the starter cells responsible for making all the body's blood cells. Stem cells...