Can thalassemia be cured?

The only way to cure thalassemia is a bone marrow transplant. This treatment removes bone marrow and replaces it with healthy bone marrow from someone else, known as a donor. New red blood cells (RBCs) will have the right instructions to make normal hemoglobin.

Continue Learning about Blood Diseases

A Glossary of Terms to Help Understand ITP
When you are researching a health condition or talking to healthcare providers about a condition, it can be helpful to know some of the terminology. B...
Safety Tips When Living With ITP and Low Platelets
Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) is a rare disorder that causes low platelet counts. If you have ITP, the most important step to protecting your health i...
How do I manage my hemorrhaging disorder on a daily basis?
Hemorrhaging disorders are manageable. You should have regular treatment two to three times per week...
Could I get HIV from receiving blood?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
According to the latest medical research, the chance of receiving an HIV-infected transfusion is est...