What mechanical means have been tested for removing clots?

Besides lasers, other mechanical devices have been used to try to remove clots. They include an ultrasound device that changed the clot's structure, enabling intravenous drugs to do their work more easily; a corkscrew housed inside a catheter that could pull a clot out; a jet inside a catheter that is capable of creating a clot-busting vacuum by spraying a saline solution at high pressures; and a catheter that is outfitted with a vacuum to suck in the clot and also has blades to chop it up.

Continue Learning about Blood Clot (Thrombus)

How Do I Know If I Have a Blood Clot?
How Do I Know If I Have a Blood Clot?
Twenty-four-year-old Spanish skateboarding star Danny León got made up to look like a not-so-steady-on-his-feet 80-year-old man. His goal: To see if t...
Why is deep vein thrombosis (DVT) a concern during pregnancy?
One of the most worrisome potential complications of pregnancy is deep-vein thrombosis (or DVT), whe...
What is the best way to prevent deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?
Dr. Sandip T. Maru, MDDr. Sandip T. Maru, MD
The best way to prevent deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is to understand your risk and take precautions w...
Summer Road Trip Safety
Summer Road Trip Safety