What is lysis therapy for deep vein thrombosis?

Lysis therapy is an approach in which vascular specialists deliver clot-dissolving drugs directly to the site of the clot through a catheter. During this procedure doctors insert the catheter, a very thin tube sometimes tipped with surgical equipment, through an artery in the groin to the site of the clot. When the catheter reaches the blockage the clot dissolving drugs are released. The catheter may also be equipped with a miniature tool that mechanically breaks up the clot. Patients who undergo lysis therapy may be able to avoid systemic treatment with blood-thinning drugs such as heparin and warfarin, which can lead to vein damage called chronic venous insufficiency.

Continue Learning about Blood Clot (Thrombus)

5 Simple Steps To Improve Circulation in Your Legs
What does the shape of your hips or belly have to do with the health of your legs? Turns out, quite a bit. One study showed that during extended trav...
How can I reduce my risk for deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?
What does the shape of your hips or belly have to do with the health of your legs? Turns out, quite ...
What are the symptoms of pulmonary embolism?
If you or someone you know has a history of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or is at risk for it, call 91...
Summer Road Trip Safety
Summer Road Trip Safety