Is dual antiplatelet therapy safe?

Yes, dual antiplatelet therapy - the combination of medications prescribed for patients who have received a stent - is generally safe for most patients, and you should take those medicines as they are prescribed. You should also be aware that, if you are facing other surgery or procedures, there is the possibility of increased risk of surgical bleeding because the anti-platelet medicines are doing their job so well. If you are in this situation, talk to both of your doctors: the doctor performing the new procedure and the interventional cardiologist who placed your stent. They will work together to achieve the best results for you. Whatever you do, do NOT stop taking your anti-platelet medicines (typically aspirin plus Plavix [clopidogrel] or Effient [prasugrel]) without talking to the doctor who prescribed them.

Continue Learning about Blood Clot (Thrombus)

How Do I Know If I Have a Blood Clot?
How Do I Know If I Have a Blood Clot?
Twenty-four-year-old Spanish skateboarding star Danny León got made up to look like a not-so-steady-on-his-feet 80-year-old man. His goal: To see if t...
What are the symptoms of deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?
Lakeview Regional Medical CenterLakeview Regional Medical Center
Symptoms of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) include swelling, pain and redness in the affected limb. Vein...
What mechanical means have been tested for removing clots?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Besides lasers, other mechanical devices have been used to try to remove clots. They include an ultr...
Summer Road Trip Safety
Summer Road Trip Safety