How do compression stockings help prevent deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?

Compression stockings assist the body in returning blood to the heart. These stockings place graduated pressure on the lower leg, with the greatest pressure around the ankle, to assist upward blood flow back to the heart. Compression stockings can be helpful in many cases of deep vein thrombosis (DVT). However, they may be difficult to put on for older people, people who are obese, or people who have certain disabilities. Compression stocking therapy is usually combined with anticoagulant therapy.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Blood Clot (Thrombus)

How does surgery and injury increase my risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?
Surgery and injuries increase deep vein thrombosis (DVT) risk because of the damage done to blood ve...
How do I avoid blood clots if I have to fly after major surgery?
Dr. Michael L. Schwartz, MDDr. Michael L. Schwartz, MD
If you have to fly after major surgery, you can reduce the risk of blood clots by exercising your le...
What is deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a condition in which blood clots form in the interior veins of your bo...
How can I lower my risk for blood clots?
There are many ways people can help lower their risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and blood clo...