How does deep vein thrombosis (DVT) affect the body?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Pulmonary embolism may result when the blood clot detaches and travels to an artery in the lungs. This blood clot may block the artery and prevent the flow of blood from the heart to other parts of the body, resulting in death if not treated immediately. Signs of this include chest pain during inhalation, fast heart rate, and sudden shortness of breath, but often there are no symptoms. Another effect is the development of sores on the skin of the affected area, due to blood escaping from damaged veins and swelling and pooling. Scar tissue in the veins as a result of healing may cause post-phlebitic syndrome, a chronic condition also marked by discolored skin, pain, and swelling in your legs.

Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) cannot only cause pain in the body, but also cause a life-threatening pulmonary embolism. In the body, the heart pumps down; it does not suck up. When the heart pumps to the legs, the legs have to pump the blood back up. If the veins are blocked, the leg pumps don't work and the blood pools in the legs, causing pain and swelling. If you have DVT, a clot can also break off, go upstream and block the blood flow to the lung. The resulting pulmonary embolism (PE) can be quickly fatal if not treated.

Continue Learning about Blood Clot (Thrombus)

How Do I Know If I Have a Blood Clot?
How Do I Know If I Have a Blood Clot?
Twenty-four-year-old Spanish skateboarding star Danny León got made up to look like a not-so-steady-on-his-feet 80-year-old man. His goal: To see if t...
What is the MERCI retriever?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The MERCI retriever is a tiny corkscrew-like device that is threaded through the circulatory system ...
Why do I need to get treatment for a blood clot?
When blood pools and clots within the veins, it can become a medical emergency if the clot break...
Summer Road Trip Safety
Summer Road Trip Safety