Can blood flow affect formation of blood clots?

Very slow blood flow, such as because of inactivity, can make you more likely to form blood clots. Watch this animation to see how slower blood flow affects the formation of blood clots.

Continue Learning about Blood Clot (Thrombus)

What is a Solitaire catheter?
TriStar Skyline Medical CenterTriStar Skyline Medical Center
When a blood clot forms in the brain it causes a stroke, and areas of the brain that control speech,...
What is the MERCI retriever?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The MERCI retriever is a tiny corkscrew-like device that is threaded through the circulatory system ...
How can I lower my risk for blood clots?
There are many ways people can help lower their risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and blood clo...
How do Coumadin and Plavix work to treat blood clots?
Justin P. Levisay, MDJustin P. Levisay, MD
Coumadin and Plavix are very different drugs that work in different ways. Coumadin affects the c...