What symptoms of HIV/AIDs prevent me from donating blood?

You should not give blood if you have any of the following conditions that can be signs or symptoms of HIV/AIDS:
 - unexplained weight loss (10 pounds or more in less than 2 months)
- night sweats
- blue or purple spots in your mouth or skin
- white spots or unusual sores in your mouth
- lumps in your neck, armpits, or groin, lasting longer than one month
- diarrhea that won’t go away
- cough that won’t go away and shortness of breath, or
- fever higher than 100.5 F lasting more than 10 days
Guidelines on eligibility to give blood change from time to time. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Can I donate blood if I have used intravenous drugs?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Those who have ever used IV drugs that were not prescribed by a physician are not eligible to donate...
What kind of blood is most commonly donated?
The most commonly donated kind of blood is whole blood for use in other individuals, known as al...