What are the symptoms of decreased blood flow in the neck?

When the neck arteries (carotid arteries) become occluded, symptoms such as dizziness, confusion, drowsiness, headache, and/or a brief loss of ability to speak or move, may be the early warning signs of a possible stroke (brain attack). More severe symptoms, such as sudden sharp headache, loss of vision in one eye, sudden loss of ability to move arms, legs, or one side of the body, sudden forceful vomiting, or sudden decreased level of consciousness may mean that a stroke is imminent.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Can I donate blood if I have a pacemaker?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If you have a pacemaker, you may donate as long as your pulse is between 50 and 100 beats per minute...
Can I donate blood if I am taking birth control?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Women on oral contraceptives or using other forms of birth control are eligible to donate.  Guideli...