What is meant by whole blood?

Whole blood is living tissue circulating through the heart, arteries, veins, and capillaries carrying nourishment, electrolytes, hormones, vitamins, antibodies, heat, and oxygen to the body’s tissues. Whole blood contains red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets suspended in a watery fluid called plasma. 

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
What can I do to increase hemoglobin/hematocrit levels before donation?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If a donor’s low hemoglobin/hematocrit is due to low iron, he or she can replenish iron levels by ea...
What are the types of blood lipids and what do they do?
Healthy HumansHealthy Humans
The first blood lipid test that everyone is most familiar with is total cholesterol. This tells us t...