What is meant by whole blood?

Whole blood is living tissue circulating through the heart, arteries, veins, and capillaries carrying nourishment, electrolytes, hormones, vitamins, antibodies, heat, and oxygen to the body’s tissues. Whole blood contains red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets suspended in a watery fluid called plasma. 

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
What should I do before donating blood?
Before donating blood you should maintain a healthy diet high in iron. On the day of the donation, d...
Do I have to wait to donate blood if I have just had surgery?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Donors are deferred until their surgical wounds have healed. The underlying condition that precipita...