What is meant by the Rh (rhesus factor)?

Most people have an inherited antigen on their red blood cells known as Rh, or D antigen. When the D antigen is present, a person’s blood is designated Rh positive. When D antigen is missing, the blood group is designated Rh negative. In general, Rh negative blood is given to Rh negative patients, and Rh positive blood or Rh negative blood may be given to Rh positive patients.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
What are the roles of the various white blood cells?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Each of the various white blood cells has a special role within the immune system. Many are able to ...
When a person dies can their blood be used?
When a person dies, their blood cannot be used because it settles in the body and begins to clot.