What do the different types of blood cells do?

Following are the different types of blood cells and what they do:

• Red blood cells carry oxygen all around the body.
  • White blood cells are a part of the immune system, which is the body’s defensive army against invaders like germs.
  • Platelets help blood to clot if a person is bleeding. 

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
What medications prevent people from donating blood?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In almost all cases, medications will not disqualify you as a blood donor. Your eligibility will be ...
Does donating blood hurt?
Donating blood can hurt momentarily because it requires the insertion of a needle into a vein. This ...