What is meant by pre-storage leukocyte-reduced red blood cells?

This form of red blood cells (RBCs) requires special preparation by removing leukocytes (white blood cells) by filtration shortly after donation. Studies show that blood transfusions with the leukocytes removed produce fewer side effects and reactions. This is done pre-storage because high numbers of leukocytes remaining in a unit of RBCs during the storage process can fragment, deteriorate, and release cytokines (chemicals that affect the inflammatory response). Leukocytes may be the cause of blood recipients developing reactions to current and subsequent blood transfusions.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
What happens if a patient receives the wrong blood type?
If a patient receives a blood type that is incompatible, antibodies that the patient already has...
What does blood consist of?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Blood consists of cells called red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets, and a liquid called...