How can I lower my homocysteine levels?

Luckily, a healthy diet (lots of fruits and vegetables; more whole grains; unsaturated fats and oils; heart-healthy proteins; low-fat dairy products or dairy alternatives; limited sodium, sugar, and alcohol) will give you nutrients that can lower homocysteine levels, including folic acid and vitamins B6 and B12. Quitting smoking can also lower homocysteine levels.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
How do muscles get increased blood flow from other organs?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When you begin to exercise, blood that would have gone elsewhere, for example to the stomach or the ...
When are antiplatelet medications used in children with heart disease?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
When you are healing from an injury, your blood begins to clot because of platelets. These are cell ...