Does donating blood hurt?

When the needle is inserted for taking blood, it will hurt only for a moment. Pinch the fleshy, soft underside of your arm. That pinch is similar to what you will feel when the needle is put in your arm.

Donating blood can hurt momentarily because it requires the insertion of a needle into a vein. This can hurt while the needle is being inserted and can be somewhat uncomfortable in that area during the donation.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
What should I do before donating blood?
Before donating blood you should maintain a healthy diet high in iron. On the day of the donation, d...
What tests are administered to ensure safe blood is given to patients?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After blood is donated, it is tested in a laboratory to ensure it is safe for transfusions. Tests cu...