Abdominal bloating may be part of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) if the symptom is associated with abdominal pain and alterations in bowel habits. Bloating may also be associated with functional dyspepsia (pain or discomfort centered in the upper abdomen), making the symptom difficult to differentiate from the fullness that occurs following meals. Bloating may also be associated with gas.
- Q What do I need to know about caring for someone with bloating?
- Q How do I stop bloating?
- Q How are lactose intolerance and bloating related?
- Q What is the difference between bloating and distension?
- Q How does an overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine cause bloating?
- Q How is bloating diagnosed?