How is bloating diagnosed?

The first step in diagnosing bloating is a physical exam that includes a review of your medical history. Tell your doctor as much as you can about the details and history of your bloating, including any pain or other symptoms you are experiencing. Your doctor may ask you to stop eating dairy for a time to see if you are lactose intolerant. They may do the same with wheat, to rule out celiac disease. Sometimes your doctor may need more specialized tests, such as an x-ray of your abdomen, or endoscopy or colonoscopy, which involve inserting a tube in your esophagus or colon.

Continue Learning about Bloating

How can I reduce bloating from constipation?
Constipation is a common culprit of bloating. If you don’t go to the bathroom every day, you could b...
How can digestive enzymes help prevent stomach bloating?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
Digestive enzymes can help break down protein, fiber and other components of food and help decrease ...
4 Surprising Causes of Belly Bloating
4 Surprising Causes of Belly Bloating4 Surprising Causes of Belly Bloating4 Surprising Causes of Belly Bloating4 Surprising Causes of Belly Bloating
Learn how to ease bloating and flatten your belly.
How Can I Reduce Stomach Bloating When I Eat Lentils?