What is eyelid surgery?

Dr. Kimberly P. Cockerham, MD
Ophthalmologist (Eye Specialist)

Eyelid surgery is a procedure done to repair eyelids that droop or become malpositioned as a result of trauma, cancer, autoimmune disease or aging. Surgery is performed at an outpatient surgery center using intravenous sedation and local anesthetic. Most procedures are completed in less than an hour and result in some swelling and bruising. Post-operative discomfort is usually minimal. Sutures are usually removed at one week and  sports and other activities can be resumed in two weeks.

Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic eyelid surgery is also referred to as a blepharoplasty. This surgery specifically addresses redundant skin and fat along the upper and lower eyelids. This surgery may be performed under intravenous sedation. Skin is marked out along the upper eyelid and conservatively removed. Next, the 2 upper eyelid fat pads are carefully removed. Finally, the incision is delicately closed. The lower eyelid skin may be removed very conservatively as well, and the 3 fat pads are taken out. If minimal skin removal is only necessary, than an incision inside the lid may be performed (transconjunctival approach). This approach will reduce the incidence of lower eyelid droop (ectropion).

Continue Learning about Blepharoplasty Or Eyelid Surgery

How is a pinch blepharoplasty performed?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
In pinch blepharoplasty, a simple technique of lower eyelid lifting, fat is first removed throug...
When should I call my doctor before I have eyelid surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Your surgeon should be contacted before any surgical procedure if you have any signs of infection. R...
Who is a good candidate for eyelid surgery?
What is blepharoplasty?
What is blepharoplasty?