What is hemorrhaging?

Hemorrhaging is the uncontrollable loss of blood that results from cutting healthy arteries. Early amputations were limited to removing dead tissue because of problems with hemorrhaging.

Hemorrhaging, or excessive bleeding, occurs with a number of disorders that cause an inability to form blood clots. Hemorrhaging occurs when the blood is unable to form clots to stop bleeding after an injury to blood vessels. Hemorrhaging may occur from even a slight injury in people who have these disorders. There are differing levels of the inability to form blood clots.

Continue Learning about Bleeding (Hemorrhage)

What is mild, moderate and severe bleeding?
Keith Roach, MDKeith Roach, MD
Mild bleeding describes an everyday occurrence – a small cut from a slipped knife or from shaving, o...
Should I exercise if I have a hemorrhaging disorder?
Regular exercise may be beneficial if you have a hemorrhaging disorder. The joints may be particular...
How did ancient physicians deal with hemorrhaging?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Physicians in ancient Greece and Rome responded to the problem of hemorrhaging by introducing a tech...
What Is the Risk Associated with Deep Brain Stimulation?