What is external sphincter insufficiency (ESD)?

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

External sphincter insufficiency (ESD), the most common of the two types of stress incontinence, causes urine leakage when the abdominal muscles tighten (during coughing, laughing, sneezing), thus creating abdominal pressure against the bladder and urethra. A well-supported urethra will not leak.

For someone with stress incontinence, however, the pelvic floor muscles and the connective tissue that supports the bladder and urethra are so worn that when the stress of a cough occurs, bladder pressure (from the stress pressure in the abdomen) exceeds pressure in the urethra (pushed down and out of the abdominal compartment) and causes leakage.

Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Bladder Disease

Worst Case Scenario: I'm Holding It In
Worst Case Scenario: I'm Holding It In
Can holding your urine cause damage? Find out in this video from Dr. Oz. Medically reviewed in May 2018.
What causes your bladder to drop?
Arthur R. Crowley, MDArthur R. Crowley, MD
A dropped bladder, also called prolapsed bladder or cystocele, is a medical condition that affects t...
What is trigonitis?
Maria FelipeMaria Felipe
Despite its name indicative of inflammation, trigonitis is a metaplastic process. The exact primary ...
What is exstrophy in children?
Grace Hyun, MDGrace Hyun, MD
Exstrophy is an uncommon congenital bladder anomaly that results when the tissue making up the a...