What is exstrophy in children?

Exstrophy is an uncommon congenital bladder anomaly that results when the tissue making up the abdominal wall is deficient and the bladder is a flat sheet on the abdominal wall instead of a sphere inside the pelvis. Urine leaks out of the abdominal wall from the exposed ureteral orifices. This is associated with pubic separation and epispadias, which is a severe congenital curvature and foreshortening of the penis.

Continue Learning about Bladder Disease

Worst Case Scenario: I'm Holding It In
Worst Case Scenario: I'm Holding It In
Can holding your urine cause damage? Find out in this video from Dr. Oz. Medically reviewed in May 2018.
What are the treatment options for bladder fistula?
Bladder fistulas almost always require surgery; nonsurgical therapy is usually not effective. Someti...
What is a bladder fistula?
A bladder fistula develops when damage to the bladder wall causes a link to form between the bladder...
What Are the Symptoms of Interstitial Cystitis/Painful Bladder Syndrome?