Why is gel used during radiation for bladder cancer?

Karim Chamie, MD
Urology
A gel is used to treat bladder cancer during radiation therapy in an effort to mark the area of the cancer and the borders of the bladder. This allows the radiation oncologist to correctly radiate the bladder while avoiding the surrounding normal tissue. These gel implants help prevent dangerous side effects by ensuring accuracy with radiation. By the time the radiation therapy is complete, the gel begins to dissolve.

Continue Learning about Bladder Cancer Treatment

What safety measures should I take after chemotherapy bladder instillation?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
The medications used in chemotherapy bladder instillation are very harsh. Even after they leave your...
How should I prepare for chemotherapy bladder instillation?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Chemotherapy bladder instillation (chemotherapy instilled in the bladder at intervals to treat or pr...
What Is the Survival Rate for Bladder Cancer?
How Is Trans-Urethral Resection Used to Treat Bladder Cancer?