How does black lung disease affect other illnesses?

Black lung disease is not caused by any other illness, and can only develop from long-term exposure to coal or graphite dust. Certain other conditions, however, can worsen the symptoms and effects of black lung disease. If you have rheumatoid arthritis, this condition in combination with black lung disease can cause a large amount of scarring to occur very suddenly in the lungs. If you smoke, your symptoms from black lung disease may be worse than they would be otherwise, and the damage to your lungs from both sources may compound.

Continue Learning about Black Lung Disease

Should I talk to my doctor about my black lung disease symptoms?
Black lung disease cannot be cured, but an early diagnosis can lead to preventative measures to halt...
How do medications treat black lung disease?
Black lung disease cannot be cured or specifically treated. Medications play no role in preventing o...
What is the prognosis of black lung disease?
In its simple form, black lung disease causes few, if any, symptoms. Most people who have black lung...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with black lung disease?
The best way to care for someone with black lung disease is to limit their further exposure to coal ...