What is black cohosh?

Black cohosh is a hardy plant found in the forests of North America. Extracts of black cohosh are prepared from the plant's dried roots and thickened, underground robot-like stem (rhizome).

In laboratory studies, extracts of black cohosh have shown estrogen-like properties. It is used for treating the following conditions:
  • premenstrual discomfort
  • painful menstruation (dysmenorrhea)
  • menopausal symptoms

Black cohosh is available in a variety of product types. The recommended daily dose of a black cohosh product is the equivalent of 40 milligrams of the crude herbal preparation, which consists of dried roots and rhizome. Use of black cohosh should not exceed six months.

Continue Learning about Black Cohosh

Can black cohosh supplements cause liver disease?
Julia Schlam EdelmanJulia Schlam Edelman
While millions of people have taken black cohosh without incident, there is at least one publish...
Should I tell my doctor if I am taking black cohosh?
Talk to your doctor about all medications, over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, supplements and herbs, ...
Does black cohosh help reduce hot flashes?
The herb black cohosh reduces hot flashes in 35 percent of cases—the same as a placebo. Because no h...
Who should not take black cohosh?
The following cautions should be considered before using black cohosh: Situations in which use of...