What is the pigeon deformity?

Pigeon deformity is an outward-protruding deformity of the chest, says Nicholas Fiore, MD, a pediatric surgeon at Sunrise Hospital. In this video, he describes how pigeon deformity can be treated without surgery.
Pigeon deformity is a deformity of the chest characterized by a protrusion of the sternum and ribs. It is also known as pigeon chest. The scientific term for this is pectus carinatum. Pectus carinatum is associated with some connective tissue disorders and can be seen in certain medical syndromes.

Continue Learning about Birth Defects

What is pectus excavatum?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
Pectus excavatum is a congenital deformity characterized by a concave sternum or breastbone that can...
What are the types of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders?
Different terms are used to describe fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASDs), depending on the type...
What should I do if a child has fetal alcohol spectrum disorder?
If you think your child might have a fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD), talk to your child’s do...
What safe amount of alcohol can I drink during pregnancy?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
There is no known safe amount of alcohol a woman can drink while pregnant. When you are pregnant and...