What is cloacal exstrophy?

Cloacal exstrophy is a group of numerous severe abnormalities, including omphalocele and defects relating to the rectum, bladder and genitalia. This defect, which occurs in one of 250,000 births, can be fatal.

Babies who are born with cloacal exstrophy require many surgeries over a period of several years to repair defects, rebuild organs and restore normal function.

Continue Learning about Birth Defects

What is the goal of surgery for pectus excavatum?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
Surgery for pectus excavatum can do more for young teens than just change their physical appearance....
How common are hemangiomas?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The incidence of a hemangioma is about 1-2% infantile form, and 10% of white infants at one year of ...
Can birth defects be prevented?
Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MDDr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
Some birth defects can be prevented, but some cannot. If you are trying to get pregnant, start your ...
How can I help prevent a birth defect in my baby if I am pregnant?
The number one way to prevent birth defects in your baby when you are pregnant is to get regular pre...