What is a teratoma?

A teratoma is a kind of tumor that resembles a malformed fetus. Although it is sometimes mistaken for a phenomenon called fetus in fetu, where one fetus becomes trapped inside its twin, a teratoma does not have a vertebral column, parts of a brain or other organs. It is typically a group of cells that develop skin and teeth.

Continue Learning about Birth Defects

What is dextrocardia with situs solitus?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
In dextrocardia with situs solitus, a congenital condition, the heart is on the right side of the ch...
How successful is the treatment for Chiari malformations?
Michael E. Seiff, MDMichael E. Seiff, MD
Treatment of Chiari malformation is very successful, says Michael Seiff, MD, a neurosurgeon at Sunri...
What is Klippel-Feil syndrome (KFS)?
Klippel-Feil Syndrome (KFS) is a rare disorder characterized by the congenital fusion of any two of ...
If I drank alcohol early in my pregnancy but quit, will it harm my baby?
The most important thing is that you have completely stopped drinking after learning of your pregnan...