What should I do if a child has fetal alcohol spectrum disorder?

If you think your child might have a fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD), talk to your child’s doctor and share your concerns. Don’t wait!

If you or the doctor thinks there could be a problem, ask the doctor for a referral to a specialist (someone who knows about FASDs), such as a developmental pediatrician, child psychologist, or clinical geneticist. In some cities, there are clinics whose staffs have special training in diagnosing and treating children with FASDs. To find doctors and clinics in your area visit the National and State Resource Directory from the National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (NOFAS).

At the same time, call your state’s public early childhood system to ask for a free evaluation to find out if your child qualifies for treatment services. This is sometimes called a Child Find evaluation. You do not need to wait for a doctor’s referral or a medical diagnosis to make this call.

Continue Learning about Birth Defects

What are the symptoms of pectus excavatum?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
The symptoms of pectus excavatum include shortness of breath, chest pain and heart palpitations.
More Answers
Is there any treatment for schizencephaly?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Treatment of schizencephaly consists of physical therapy and drugs to prevent seizures. In cases tha...
More Answers
Are fetal alcohol disorders hereditary?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASDs) are not genetic or hereditary. If a woman drinks alcohol du...
More Answers
What is situs ambiguus, also known as situs ambiguous?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Situs ambiguous is a condition in which the liver and stomach, which normally appear on the right an...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.