What can cause a birth defect?

Many things can cause birth defects. Drugs taken during pregnancy that are not safe for pregnancy can cause defects. Also, alcohol, viral or bacterial infections, and genetics can all cause birth defects.

Continue Learning about Birth Defects

What is Klippel-Feil syndrome (KFS)?
Klippel-Feil Syndrome (KFS) is a rare disorder characterized by the congenital fusion of any two of ...
What is congenital hydrocephalus?
Michael E. Seiff, MDMichael E. Seiff, MD
Hydrocephalus is the accumulation of fluids in the brain. Learn more from Michael Seiff, MD, in neur...
What are some common types of craniofacial birth defects?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Pediatrician and geneticist Katrina Dipple, MD, PhD, co-director of the UCLA Craniofacial Clinic, sa...
How can I help prevent a birth defect in my baby if I am pregnant?
The number one way to prevent birth defects in your baby when you are pregnant is to get regular pre...