What are cleft lip and cleft palate?

Cleft lip and cleft palate occur as incomplete development of a fetus. It is where the lips (cleft lip) or the roof of the mouth (cleft palate) do not completely fuse in the mid-line. They can occur together or separately.
Cleft lip is a birth defect in which a baby's upper lip doesn’t form completely and has an opening in it. A cleft palate is a similar birth defect in which a baby’s palate (roof of the mouth) doesn’t form completely and has an opening in it. These birth defects are called oral clefts. Some babies and children with oral clefts may have feeding, speech or dental problems as well as ear infections and hearing loss. 

If members of your family have had an oral cleft or if you’ve had a baby with an oral cleft, talk to a genetic counselor to find out the chances of having a baby with an oral cleft.

Learn more at: marchofdimes.org

Continue Learning about Birth Defects

How can I help prevent a birth defect in my baby if I am pregnant?
The number one way to prevent birth defects in your baby when you are pregnant is to get regular pre...
What is the ideal age for pectus excavatum surgery?
Sunrise Hospital & Medical CenterSunrise Hospital & Medical Center
The best age for pectus excavatum surgery is between 10 and 12 years old.
How common is cleft lip?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
The cleft lip occurs in approximately 1 in 700 babies born in the world. It is the fourth leading bi...
What are the signs and symptoms of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders?
FASDs refer to the whole range of effects that can happen to a person whose mother drank alcohol dur...