Is there any treatment for schizencephaly?

Treatment of schizencephaly consists of physical therapy and drugs to prevent seizures. In cases that are complicated by hydrocephalus, a surgically implanted tube, called a shunt, is used to divert fluid to another area of the body where it can be absorbed.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Birth Defects

What is situs inversus totalis?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Situs inversus totalis, also known as situs inversus with detrocardia, is a condition describing the...
If I drank alcohol early in my pregnancy but quit, will it harm my baby?
The most important thing is that you have completely stopped drinking after learning of your pregnan...
Is it possible for a child to be born with one eye?
Michael X. RepkaMichael X. Repka
A few children do have abnormal eye development. In these cases one or both eyes might not develop. ...
What is amniotic band syndrome?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
Amniotic band syndrome refers to birth defects that occur when amniotic bands in the womb get wrappe...