What safe amount of alcohol can I drink during pregnancy?

There is no known safe amount of alcohol a woman can drink while pregnant. When you are pregnant and you drink beer, wine, hard liquor or other alcoholic beverages, alcohol gets into your blood. The alcohol in your blood gets into your baby's body through the umbilical cord. Alcohol can slow down the baby's growth, affect the baby's brain and cause birth defects.

This answer is based source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

There is no known safe amount of alcohol to drink while pregnant. There is also no safe time during pregnancy to drink and no safe kind of alcohol. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) urges pregnant women not to drink alcohol any time during pregnancy.

Women also should not drink alcohol if they are planning to become pregnant or are sexually active and do not use effective birth control. This is because a woman could become pregnant and not know for several weeks or more. In the United States half of all pregnancies are unplanned.

Continue Learning about Birth Defects

If I drank alcohol early in my pregnancy but quit, will it harm my baby?
The most important thing is that you have completely stopped drinking after learning of your pregnan...
What is the treatment for congenital lung lesions?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
To treat congenital lung lesions, your doctor may recommend removing the damaged portion of the lung...
Who can help treat my child with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder?
If you think your child might have a fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD), talk to your child’s do...
What kidney problems can occur in babies?
Babies can have many different kinds of kidney problems, from being full of cysts to being located m...