Is it safe to drink wine coolers and beer while I am pregnant?

All drinks containing alcohol can hurt an unborn baby, even beer and wine coolers. A standard drink is defined as .60 ounces of pure alcohol. This is equivalent to one 12-ounce beer or wine cooler, one 5-ounce glass of wine, or 1.5 ounces of 80 proof distilled spirits (hard liquor). Some alcoholic drinks have high alcohol concentrations and come in larger containers (22-45 ounce containers). There is no safe kind of alcohol. If you have any questions about your alcohol use and its risks to your health, talk to your healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Birth Defects

What is the recovery like after pectus excavatum repair?
Sunrise Hospital & Medical CenterSunrise Hospital & Medical Center
The recovery time in the hospital for pectus excavatum surgery is three to four days.
How often do neural tube defects occur?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
In the United States, neural tube defects occur in about one out of every 1,000 pregnancies. That me...
What is amniotic band syndrome?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
Amniotic band syndrome refers to birth defects that occur when amniotic bands in the womb get wrappe...
What is fetal alcohol syndrome?
Dr. Deborah Raines, MSNDr. Deborah Raines, MSN
Fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) is a condition present at birth characterized by physical, mental and n...