How can I help prevent a birth defect in my baby if I am pregnant?

The number one way to prevent birth defects in your baby when you are pregnant is to get regular prenatal care. Your healthcare professional will recommend that you take a prenatal vitamin with folic acid and avoid things that cause birth defects such as smoking, alcohol, street drugs and certain medications. Medical problems, such as diabetes, will be controlled, and you will receive appropriate vaccinations. Ask your healthcare provider how to avoid sources of infection that may cause illness in you and your baby. These steps will not prevent all birth defects but will give your baby the best possible chance of being well developed and healthy.

Continue Learning about Birth Defects

What is Klippel-Feil syndrome (KFS)?
Klippel-Feil Syndrome (KFS) is a rare disorder characterized by the congenital fusion of any two of ...
What are cephalic disorders?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Cephalic disorders are congenital conditions that stem from damage to, or abnormal development of, t...
Are fetal alcohol disorders hereditary?
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASDs) are not genetic or hereditary. If a woman drinks alcohol du...
What is the ideal age for pectus excavatum surgery?
Dr. Lyall A. Gorenstein, MDDr. Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
The ideal age for surgical treatment of pectus excavatum is between 12-18 years of age. Most pectus ...