How are fetal alcohol spectrum disorders treated?

In children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders, no treatment can reverse the effect that alcohol had during fetal development. A child with fetal alcohol syndrome should have a medical workup to rule out any additional birth defects and possibly a referral to a geneticist to help confirm the diagnosis. If the child has related symptoms such as impulsivity, hyperactivity or a sleep disorder, the symptoms may be treated with medications or counseling.

Continue Learning about Birth Defects

What is schizencephaly?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Schizencephaly is an extremely rare developmental birth defect characterized by abnormal slits, or c...
If I drank alcohol early in my pregnancy but quit, will it harm my baby?
The most important thing is that you have completely stopped drinking after learning of your pregnan...
Who can help treat my child with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder?
If you think your child might have a fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD), talk to your child’s do...
What are the types of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders?
Different terms are used to describe fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASDs), depending on the type...