Can cleft lips and cleft palates be prevented?

Most cleft lips and cleft palates are caused by a genetic or developmental error that was not preventable. However, in some cases the genes are influenced by other factors. The best way to reduce risk of a cleft defect is for any woman who might get pregnant to take a prenatal vitamin, avoid dangerous medications, quit smoking and limit alcohol intake.

Continue Learning about Birth Defects

What is Pentalogy of Cantrell?
Alice Benjamin, RNAlice Benjamin, RN
Pentalogy of Cantrell is a rare disorder that is present at birth. It is characterized by a combinat...
What is Klippel-Feil syndrome (KFS)?
Klippel-Feil Syndrome (KFS) is a rare disorder characterized by the congenital fusion of any two of ...
If I drank alcohol early in my pregnancy but quit, will it harm my baby?
The most important thing is that you have completely stopped drinking after learning of your pregnan...
What is Poland syndrome?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Poland syndrome is a chest wall anomaly usually involving ipsilateral breast and nipple hypoplas...