What are the different kinds of congenital urinary tract blockages?

Urinary tract blockages may occur at the point where the ureter leaves the renal pelvis, or at the point where the bladder empties into the urethra. Congenital urinary tract abnormalities may be associated with urinary tract infections in children, which can result in kidney injury. However, when detected early and treated appropriately, kidney injury may be avoided in many cases.

Continue Learning about Birth Defects In Kidneys & Urinary Tract

What kind of congenital urinary tract abnormalities can occur?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
A few different types of congenital urinary tract abnormalities can occur. In some cases, one or bot...
What are posterior urethral valves in babies?
Grace Hyun, MDGrace Hyun, MD
Posterior urethral valves are wisps of tissue in the prostatic urethra preventing the release of...
How should I take care of my child if he was born with a single kidney?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
If your child was born with a single kidney, looking after his health is the best way to avoid a...
What childhood kidney problems require critical care treatment?
Louise E. Sivak, MDLouise E. Sivak, MD
Any kidney problem that results in respiratory compromise or severe acid-base imbalance or other org...