What kinds of doctors treat kidney problems in babies?

Pediatric urologists are surgeons specially trained in the care of children's urinary and genital tracts. Pediatric nephrologists also care for kidney and urinary tract problems in children, but do not do surgery. Both pediatric urologists and nephrologists are familiar with the diseases of the urinary tract and know how to manage these problems after birth. In addition, these specialists may be able to provide helpful information to your obstetrician

Continue Learning about Birth Defects In Kidneys & Urinary Tract

What are the different kinds of congenital urinary tract blockages?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Urinary tract blockages may occur at the point where the ureter leaves the renal pelvis, or at the p...
What is bladder exstrophy?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
It is a rare congenital anomaly in which part of the urinary bladder is present outside the body. Us...
How should I take care of my child if he was born with a single kidney?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
If your child was born with a single kidney, looking after his health is the best way to avoid a...
What childhood kidney problems require critical care treatment?
Louise E. Sivak, MDLouise E. Sivak, MD
Any kidney problem that results in respiratory compromise or severe acid-base imbalance or other org...