What are advantages of combination birth control pills?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

"The Pill" is a combination of estrogen and progesterone, hormones that regulate ovulation and the menstrual cycle. Many women use the pill for other than contraception, due to other health benefits. These advantages include shorter, more regular and less painful periods, improvement in acne, less ovarian cysts, decreased possibility of endometrial and ovarian cancer to name but a few. I have even used the pill to help women who WANT to become pregnant- if they have a hormone imbalance, sometimes 3 months on the pill will regulate their hormones and they are able to achieve a pregnancy.

Just for clarification, the "mini pill" does not have estrogen and is not a "combination" pill.

Continue Learning about Birth Control

What side effects can a copper IUD cause?
For the first few months after you have a copper IUD inserted you may feel some menstrual pain, ...
How Can I Decide What Method of Birth Control to Use?
What Are the Possible Risks of Using an Intrauterine Device (IUD)?
Who Is Not a Good Candidate for Birth Control Pills?