How can I choose the right birth control for me?

Choosing your birth control method is an important decision, one that you most likely have already made. But you should know that recent advances in reproductive science mean there are now more options available for women than ever before. So consider doing some research and having a discussion with your doctor about whether there are any new methods that might make better sense for you. Start by asking yourself some questions to see whether your current method fits your lifestyle:

• Is it convenient enough that I will use it appropriately and consistently?
  • Am I comfortable with how effective it is?
  • Does it make sense for my budget?
  • Do I feel confident using it?
  • Is it ideal, given my sexual practices and childbearing wishes?
  • Every woman's body is different, especially when it comes to reproductive and sexual health. So it's important to find a gynecologist you feel comfortable talking with about your contraceptive preferences.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Birth Control

What is a cervical cap?
The cervical cap is a silicone cup that is inserted into the vagina and over the cervix. It is a bar...
How effective are female barrier methods of contraception?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
The diaphragm is a shallow rubber cup that fits tightly over the cervix, the entrance to the uterus....
What is birth control?
In order for a pregnancy to occur, an ovum (egg) must be released from the ovary, a process called o...
Which Birth Control Option Is Right for You?
Which Birth Control Option Is Right for You?Which Birth Control Option Is Right for You?Which Birth Control Option Is Right for You?Which Birth Control Option Is Right for You?
From pills to patches, get the lowdown on your options for contraception. When it comes to birth control, there are more options than ever before. But...