What can I expect if I change birth-control methods?

It depends on what you are changing from and to. If you are changing from a barrier method to the pill, or the reverse, you may experience some side effects from the changes in hormone levels. Even from pill to pill, you may experience some mood swings or changes in your cycle. If you experience significant symptoms in mood, flow or other unusual symptoms, call your health care provider.

Always use a backup method such as condoms when you are changing birth control methods just to be safe. 

Anna Tarleton Potter
Administration
Birth-control methods that have estrogen versus those that don’t can affect your moods, period, menstrual cycle, and hormones.  Allow your body some time to adjust, and talk to your doctor about any concerning side effects. Also, if it’s a matter of simply switching brands of birth-control pills, make sure you take the pill within an hour of when you took it the previous day.  

Continue Learning about Birth Control

News: Study Says Birth Control May Not Be Linked to Depression
In potentially good news for women on hormonal birth control, a February 2018 study published in the journal Contraception found depression was not li...
What are the benefits of Nexplonan implant birth control?
The primary benefits of the Nexplanon (etonogestrel) implant for birth control are duration and effe...
Why do I have break through bleeding on birth control?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Since breakthrough bleeding is a result of too little estrogen, use a back-up birth control method u...
How Can I Decide What Method of Birth Control to Use?