Will I have periods if I'm on the pill?

In the development of the contraceptive pill, a hormone-free week was built into each month in order to provide the women with reassurance that she was not pregnant. During this week, a woman may take placebo pills or no pills at all. Typically, she will bleed during this week. Some women will mistake this for a period, but it is not. The hormones in the pill prevented ovulation and stabilized the lining of the uterus; the bleeding that may occur is merely the uterus responding to the withdrawal of the hormones.

Continue Learning about Birth Control Pill

What are some benefits of monophasic birth control pills?
Eva B. Cwynar, MDEva B. Cwynar, MD
Monophasic birth control pills provides the same amount of hormones throughout the cycle, which ...
How do birth control pills affect menstruation?
Birth control pills contain reproductive hormones that influence the menstrual cycle in various ways...
Who Should Not Take Birth Control Pills?
Is It Unhealthy to Prevent Ovulation With the Pill?