What are the side effects of stopping oral contraceptives?

There are no true side effects or withrawal symptoms when stopping oral contraceptives. However, once oral contraceptives are discontinued the regular menstrual cycle and ovulation will usually resume immediately so chance of pregnancy is increased. If a woman is taking oral contraceptives to decrease heavy bleeding or minimize symptoms of acne, irregular periods, or polycystic ovarian syndrome these symptoms may also return.

Continue Learning about Birth Control Pill

Can the birth control pill help relieve perimenopausal symptoms?
For many women, taking the Pill in their late 40s and early 50s can help relieve hot flashes and oth...
Is it unhealthy to prevent ovulation with the Pill?
Do you shy away from the birth control pill because you don't want to interfere with your natura...
How do birth control pills affect menstruation?
Birth control pills contain reproductive hormones that influence the menstrual cycle in various ways...
Is the pill effective immediately after I begin taking it?
Marcy Holmes, MSN, NPMarcy Holmes, MSN, NP
The birth control pill may start to be effective after 5 days of taking it, however I would suggest ...