How does taking birth control pills for a long time affect my fertility?

The birth control pill itself doesn't affect long-term fertility. In the short term, a small number of women will have a delay after stopping birth control pills until they start ovulating again. This is more likely if the woman is either under- or overweight or engages in heavy aerobic exercise. For most women, ovulation resumes about two weeks after the last pill is taken. There is no need to wait to try to get pregnant after pill use. The common recommendation to wait three months has no scientific basis.

Depo-Provera is an injectable form of hormonal contraception. One injection provides protection against pregnancy for up to four months. But its effects on fertility can last up to two years. This is not a rapidly reversible contraceptive and shouldn't be used by women who wish to get pregnant within one year.
Taking birth control pills for extended periods of time or several years has not been shown to have an effect on or reduce fertility.

Continue Learning about Birth Control Pill

Will I have periods if I'm on the pill?
Henrico Doctors' Hospital  - HCA VirginiaHenrico Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
In the development of the contraceptive pill, a hormone-free week was built into each month in order...
Can the birth control pill help relieve perimenopausal symptoms?
For many women, taking the Pill in their late 40s and early 50s can help relieve hot flashes and oth...
Can the Birth Control Pill Prevent Colon Cancer?
Can the Birth Control Pill Increase My Risk of Cervical Cancer?